After two losses on Monday and Tuesday, the Challengers brought home their first win in the third game of the tournament. They beat the Ukrainian team CNTU-OSDYSSOR-Gorn 5-2.
However it did not start promisingly. The first three batters of the Ukrainians reached with three hits and scored two runs, but the Zurich team threw the anchor in time, came out of the inning and, for their part, didn’t waste any time to get on the scoreboard as well. A 2-run triple from Adam Greenberg quickly evened the game and Regis Reinhard even put his colors ahead with an RBI double. In the third inning, the Challengers extended their lead to three runs. Again Adam Greenberg was involved with an RBI double. This was already enough, because pitcher James Sanders, already batting leader of the tournament, also showed an outstanding performance on the mound. He only allowed seven hits and two runs with no walks and six strikeouts in a complete game. The next opponents on Thursday morning at 10 a.m. are the Dornbirn Indians, who are still undefeated.
All the games from Bratislava will be streamed live on the WBSC Europe YouTube Channel.
- Monday, June 19, 5 p.m.: Zurich Challengers va. Apollo Bratislava 3-7
- Tuesday, June 20, 1.30 p.m.: Deurne Spartans vs. Zurich Challengers 7-2
- Wednesday, June 21, 1.30 p.m.: CNTU-OSDYSSOR-Gorn vs. Zurich Challengers 2-5
- Thursday, June 22, 10 a.m.: Zurich Challengers va. Dornbirn Indians
- Friday, June 23, 10 a.m.: Rättvik BSK vs. Zurich Challengers
- Saturday, June 24, 11 a.m.: Final